Sunday, March 9, 2008

Places I've Been (Nigeria continued)

Hello, I am back again. OK, to continue on. When I got off the plane, obviously went through the security procedures and all. Nothing too complicated. I only got long stars from security because I was an American. Not that Americans don’t frequent Nigeria, but people can tell whether you are from the country, whether or not the hear you speak first or not. And it doesn't matter if you have the same features and skin color, it’s just something about you. One person told me it was part of how you carry yourself. ??? Maybe.

After I went through the security process, I went out the exits of the airport. crowds of people were waiting to greet and meet their friends and families coming off the plane. I had to wait for my hosts because they were not able to get far past the gate out near the street. While I was waiting, one or two men who were taxi drivers offered to help me find my female friend because they saw I had been standing around for a while. Of course they offered to give a ride to my destination also. But I told them that I had someone that was there to pick me up, but I just couldn't’t find them. So then one gentleman offered his cell. phone so I could call her. But I asked him if he could go to the outside gate area and say my name to let them know I was there waiting for them. So finally I guess they convinced the gate security guards to let them inside because I did not know where they were. Finally I recognized my female friend, Ijeoma and she was with with two of her brothers. I will start using her name from here on out.

We met, greeted and hug each other, then she introduced me to her brothers as well. One of the brothers went by the nickname Lucky (sorry if I don’t remember everybody’s real names). So then we were off to the house of Ijeoma’s family.

The airport was located more towards the outskirts of the city, so there were a lot of dirt roads. But now let’s not assume that Africa is all dirt roads and jungle, with giraffes and lions walking around. Their cities are modern like ours. They have beaches ( i didn’t get a chance to one), nice shopping centers, etcetera. It’s just that some parts of the country were not developed due to mainly lack of a budget for updating some of the roadways and highways.

As far as clothing, the people in Nigeria have acquired the western styles of dress; many of the girls wore jeans and everything we wear here in the United States, but they also have their traditional African clothing designs that they wear. But I noticed that most of the younger people dressed like westerners, however the older adults maintained the traditional African dress, composed of lively head wraps on the ladies, with bright, beautiful colors that you see in pictures, on television and elsewhere. It is a beauty that can only be described with the naked eye. Words are not enough. When you look into a crowd, it will look like you are observing a priceless painting. Later I will try and get some pictures up of Ijeoma’s mother. I took many pictures of her in her traditional clothing. You will love it!

(to be continued)

No comments: