Sunday, March 9, 2008

Places I've Been (Nigeria continued)

Places I've Been (Nigeria continued)

Hello everyone. I’ll continue now with my adventure to Nigeria. The main reasonwhy I went to Nigeria, is because I wanted to me the girl I was communicatingwith on the internet. We had been chatting on the internet for about 2 yearsbefore I decided to visit her. Now that is the other reason I went to Nigeria;I went their knowing that I would have someone there that I am already acquainted with.

All along we had been talking about meeting face-to-face. We chatted on theinternet constantly, by email, and we talked on the phone often. So obviouslythere was some interest, and we were both willing to do whatever it took to seeeach other. So then I finally convinced myself to take a chance and go meetwith her. By the way, her name is Ijeoma Sophia Nochiri.

We talked about my trip, and where I was going to stay. She told me her parentswould allow me to stay at their home as a guest. Now that was a surprise to me. Here I am, this guy their daughter met on the internet, and they were willing tolet me stay in their home! Well they were very nice, sincere, kind people. Butwe decide to get a hotel room for my first day there, and then stay with herparents for the remaining time, since they offered.
After arrangements were, I caught a flight to Nigeria. I went from LAX toChicago. Then from there, I my flight was approximately an eight hour flightbefore reaching Spain to transfer flights into Nigeria.

Let me describe that eight hour flight. The airline from Chicago to Spain wascalled Iberia Airlines (a Spanish airline). When our flight first left theground, the flight attendants were still walking their seats, in mid air! ThenI looked behind me, and there was a little kid still playing in his seat (Nofault of the flight attendants). I looked at his parents in disbelief. Thefinally strapped down when they saw he was standing up in his seat. AFtertake-off, a funny smell crossed my nostrils My brain sent a message to my nose,telling me it was the smell of piss! Ok, urine! Maybe I was wrong, butthat is what it smelled like to me. After take-off th rest of the flight was okay, although the pilots did not boostmy desire to fly thirty thousand feet over the Atlantic Ocean, for over eighthours. The tone of their voices during take-off did not sound like the sound ofexperienced airline planes.

My plane finally arrived in Spain, where I had to wait overnight (or was itearly morning?) for my connecting flight to Nigeria. I was tired, but at thesame time I ws kept awake by all the people in airport. My flight from Spain toLagos, Nigeria was a lot less as far as time in the air. When I arrived to theairport, I tried looking out the window to see if I could see what thesurroundings were like. I was excited because I was in the motherland (doesanybody not know why the continent of Africa is called motherland?) The airportis called Burtalla Muhammad in the city of Lagos, Nigeria. Lagos the capitol of the country……

(to be continued)

No comments: